Monday 25 June 2012


Last week I was asked for a top tip for running your own business. One of mine was in quiet periods (unfortunately at some point we do all have them) I always create posts for blogs, or PR which I send out to various publications, blogs etc... 

This is the latest of those pieces - based on a interview I did with the Manchester Evening News when I established Colourwheel creative....

Name: Michelle Wright
Occupation: Owner at Colourwheel creative – graphic design
Married with one child, Scarlett aged 6 yrs

Achieving a balance of motherhood and career was the major factor when Michelle Wright decided to go it alone and set up her own design business.
“It had always been on my ‘to do list’,” says Michelle  “But then something else would crop up and it would be pushed to one side for another time.”
Her daughter Scarlett, had just started school and Michelle was aware that, if she returned to full-time employment, there would always be the chance that she’d miss out on important events such as school assemblies and plays.
But it was an ‘I can do that’ moment that set Michelle on the road to being her own boss.
She says: “As a qualified graphic designer, I was constantly looking at other businesses supplying logos, flyers, banners – business promotional tools and thinking ‘ I can do that’
“I knew the industry inside out, I’d been producing flyers and leaflets on a daily basis for years, so I decided to put my experience to the test.”
Within two months, Michelle had been put in touch with Salford Hundred venture – a funded venture created to help others start up busiensses. Michelle completed an Aspire course, won some funding and set up colourwheel creative.
The design agency offers a full range of creative design services including business design: logos, flyers, banners and even branded cake toppers, as well as personalised invitations.
“I am sure colourwheel would have been born one day,” says Michelle, “and missing important key moments in Scarlett’s school life has helped me make this jump… now over two years later, I know I made the right decision. I love that I work with so many different types of industries and people – all over the UK and I have even worked with people further afield in Spain, Australia and America. Email and social networking pages has made the world a much smaller place and opened so many more doors for smaller businesses”.
“I’m busy, I’m working at home and for myself and if my daughter is in a school play - I’ll be there.”

Colourwheel creative – graphic design
twitter: @colourwheelcrea

No comments:

Post a Comment